Monday, February 5, 2007

Society of the Spectacularly Idiotic

If Guy Debord was alive today, he would have had a field day with Terence Koh and Jeffrey Deitch's latest masturbatory concoction (pun intended).


(photo credit- Stephanie Halmos/Patrick McMullan)

This performance piece was done in conjunction with Koh's exhibition at Deitch's other gallery, two doors down from this space. During the dinner, these genital-baring, bucket-helmet-wearing boys constructed a wooden bridge with a white box at the top.

  
(photo credit- Stephanie Halmos/Patrick McMullan)

I don't have all the details of the performance, but as the dénouement of this little display was a group urination session. They all pissed into their bucket helmets.

Now, this is an interesting corollary to my post on the New York Magazine Dash Snow article in which I probed, 'What do cum-and-glitter-embellished skulls have to do with the common man?' Alas, I was without answer. With this performance, I am left dumbfounded once again, but able to make some interesting historical connections.

At least the Situationists, though similarly misogynist, based their social detournment on some kind of political foundation. This is such a fantastically poignant illustration of people simply appearing to interact. The viewers are actually watching people construct the images that then literally obstruct the possibility for genuine human interaction that might transpire at a dinner party. Here's a quotation from Chapter 1 of Society of the Spectacle:

The spectacle presents itself simultaneously as all of society, as part of society, and as instrument of unification. As a part of society it is specifically the sector which concentrates all gazing and all consciousness. Due to the very fact that this sector is separate, it is the common ground of the deceived gaze and of false consciousness, and the unification it achieves is nothing but an official language of generalized separation.

This is exactly what's happening here. False consciousness? YUP! I bet they all think they're really thinking and smart and aware and shit. Deceived gaze? YUP! They're staring at assy nothing! It doesn't even have aesthetic value! It's just some 2x4s and cardboard! I would love to see some literature trying to justify or explain this abomination, though that assumes that Terence Koh is actually literate, which I highly doubt.


(photo credit- Stephanie Halmos/Patrick McMullan)

In summation, I reiterate my plea for help finding and castrating Dash Snow. I add Terence Koh to the list. Their names even rhyme. That must mean something.

4 comments:

naomi said...

Also (and since I got reprimanded for updating my posts after I publish them b/c the RSS feed goes every time I'll put this addition in comment form which the RSS feed probably picks up anyway so there's no point to this parenthetical remark) HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD!!!!

Lauren said...

naomi this post brought me right back to good ole ken rogers' class. i remember thinking how disappointed my dad would be if he knew that $40k a year meant me sitting in a classroom looking at slides of men who squirted purple paint out of their ass and called it art. ironic that you should post this on your dad's birthday!
i miss ken rogers...and freshman year.

Jeffrey Max said...

I'll tell my sister to shut all this shit garbage down. I think she's almost in charge there.

naomi said...

that would be really helpful, jeffrey.

ken and i went out to dinner when i was in LA. he's still awesome and hilarious. can you imagine ken driving a car? i couldn't stop laughing.