Monday, January 8, 2007

Musto, Fungus and Cum Shots

Today was a day of Internet discoveries. Scanning slides for 8 hours allows a lot of time to find fun/interesting stuff on the Internet and that I did.

Firstly, I found out that the Patrick McMullan Company Christmas Party was written up in the Village Voice. Michael Musto was in attendance because he and Patrick are besties. It was exciting to see him there and also exciting to see that he wrote a little thing about it. I think his description of the Hawaiian Tropic Zone is spot on.

Secondly, my coworker and friend Joe found a totally awesome video about this weird fungus that kills African bugs. It gets into their bodies, makes them go crazy, kills them, and then shoots a spore up through their dead carcasses. The new strains of fungus then drop to the jungle floor where the cycle repeats, presumably with some species of insect (which the narrator in the video said was good and ecologically beneficial and what not).

Lastly, I found this article in New York Magazine that gave me an aneurysm and a migraine. It's about this art star named Dash Snow and how great he is for making art involving cum shots. This was my favorite part:

He picked up a human skull from the floor. “Look at how scary that is, man. I can’t believe that … it’s so creepy. I’m going to do a come-shot series on the faces of the skulls, but after I come on them, I’ll throw glitter on them to make it pretty. Hey, look, he’s missing the same tooth as you, Ryan,” said Snow, and poked his finger into the empty space in the skull’s mouth.

Ignoring the egregious misspelling of cum, what do cum shots in glitter-embellished skulls have to do with me? What do they have to do with anyone? And who are the people telling us that these are the people making things of value? Horny old curators who are bored and need to get excitement from pictures of penises and cum? All this makes me want to do is find Dash Snow (also wtf is with that name?) and kick him in the balls a LOT til his junk is all f-ed up. Then let's see what kind of art he makes.

1 comment:

mike said...

true on every level