Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Let's Download About This


I know I've written about this before, but old people and computers are hilarious. Their unawareness of technology is best displayed in their ineptitude to use appropriate terminology in everyday life. People our age use computer lingo with such ease that we often don't even realize we're doing it. I say 'omg' all the time in conversations even though it doesn't save that much verbal energy. It's just part of the vernacular for lots of people who grew up contemporaneously with computers. The other day Sam's boss said, 'Oh Sam, I'm really sorry we didn't get to download about your first week here.' I can kind of see the logic here. According to my widget, downloading is defined as 'copying data from one computer system to another or to a disk.' Sam's boss wanted to take the data in his head system about his first week of work and put it into her head system. I like that she thinks of computers as so prevalent in our culture that the terminology can now apply to humans and machines alike. 'All right guys, I'm gonna log out of this party. L8r!' 'Oh man, I just feel like my life is dithering. I need a new job.' She's kind of right though. We're going to be cyborgs pretty soon. Which is neat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.