Saturday, April 7, 2007

Public Ridicule, Sunday Drive, Pesach Treats, Best Movie(s) Ever

Last week I participated in Tube Time as part of the New York Underground Film Festival. 15 competitors submitted their most obscure, outrageous YouTube links. They were screened head-to-head and the audience decided which one was better. The winner advanced and so on until there was one player left standing. This was my first time competing so I didn't know what I was in for. I'm sad to say I was literally the first person eliminated. People boo-ed my first clip before it even started playing (presumably because they'd seen it already). It was pretty shameful. I had some good clips in my bag, but to be honest, some other peoples' were much funnier than even my best clip. Next year I'll be prepared. My friend Jaime got to the semifinals with this gem.



I also went on a Sunday Drive upstate with Matt. We went to New Paltz which is the weirdest hippy town ever. We went to a coffee shop with one other patron and a guitar-playing fat girl who I believe was actually an employee. There was a lot of leftist propaganda around and it reeked of patchouli. I got a soy chai just for the joke of it. Weirdly, their fruit was outrageously expensive. $1 for a banana!! Fuck those hippies man.


Matt's parents have a house up there in Minnewasaka or something. It's really cute and antebellum. The ceilings are low because people used to be shorter before the Civil War. Here's their awesome stove/fireplace.


Happy Passover!! I made macaroons on Monday. It was my first time doing so and they got RAVES! I used this recipe. I'd recommend making them. It's super easy and then you have delicious 'roons.


Lastly I'd just like to implore everyone to stop whatever they're doing right now and GO SEE GRINDHOUSE.

It's fucking amazingreatotallyowzawesome. Here are some things it has:

Kurt Russell
Rosario Dawson (HOTTTTT)
Grrrrrl power
Zombies
Cool cars
Cool car chases
Awesome special FX
Fake trailers for movies with names like Don't and Machete
Machine gun prostheses
And much much more!

I really can't say enough about how much I liked this movie (which is actually two movies for the price of one!). It made me want to kick and chase and kill and hit. FUCK I FEEL GOOD.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

if you thought grindhouse was good, you should see Thirteen.

Anonymous said...

anonymous is my street name, zack.

Jeffrey Max said...

Saw it. Here's my report...

Planet Terror: Great.
- Best Part - Michael Biehn.
- Worst Part - Tarantino.

Death Proof: Weak.
- Best Part - Kurt Russell.
- Worst Part - Everything else. OMG SO BORING. SNOOZE ALERT. SET MY ALARM CLOCK FOR THE END BECAUSE THAT WAS THE ONLY GOOD PART. Fuck Tarantino.

BETTER THAN EITHER MOVIE:
- The trailer for Don't!
- The Acuña Bros. slides

naomi said...

ok here's what i say to you jeffrey. i agree with your assessment of planet terror. tarantino cameos are pretty much the worst part of anything. i'm also in love with freddie rodriguez now. what a lil cutie! death proof was not weak. here's why:
normally i find tarantino's incessant, circular dialogue frustrating and unrewarding. i figure you probably feel similarly. in death proof though, the grrrrl power pay-off at the end was so fucking awesome amazing tubular that it totally made up for it.
'don't' was fucking fantastic as was 'machete.'

Jeffrey Max said...

I would see Machete so fast. That would be at the fucking TOP of my list of movies to see. OMG.

But seriously, I didn't care about anything ANY of those girls were saying in Death Proof. The ending was good, but the movie should have been entirely about Stuntman Mike. Like WTF was all that text messaging? Why were those shots 20 seconds long? CUT. BORING. I've heard the argument that Tarantino's is better because he took the assignment of "make a shitty 70s movie" literally and that has more artistic merit to which I reply: 1. Fuck that. Shitty movies are enjoyable because they're so shitty that they're funny. Death Proof wasn't shitty enough. 2. The movie could have been fucking awesome as evidenced by every scene with Kurt Russell in or around a car. How about instead of making some meditation on the genre or whatever the fuck it is Tarantino thinks he's doing... how about just making a sick movie because he's clearly capable. If he meant for the movie to suck, he's gay. If he didn't mean for it to suck, well it did. All the grrl power in the world can't make up for bad acting and clumsy jokes. Best line: "Be careful! I think my arm's broken..."

naomi said...

ok jeffrey.
1. i loved the text messaging parts. it was a nice jibe at contemporary culture to make the dialogue SO FAST and the technology super slowed down. like are we really saving time by texting or whatever? y'know? i thought it was creative and original and funny.
2. i didn't care about what they were saying either. tarantino doesn't know how to write a female character. that's pretty clear. they all just talk like tough guys. also all the characters are pretty much the same. or if they're different it's b/c one is black and says the n word.
3. the acting was terrible (save for kurt (<3)), but only b/c the dialogue was so bad.
4. taking item #2 into account, the girl power ending flew so much in the face of all that incessant banter and ridiculously circular dialogue that tarantino basically negated himself. like we're used to seeing sexploitation and insane misogyny from him, so to have 3/4 of the movie be exactly that and the last 1/4 fly in the face of the preceding 75% was AWESOME! give it up!