Thursday, November 22, 2007

Fall Break Part I: Los Angeles

SATURDAY
I arranged for Jerry to pick me up for the airport at 4:30 am on Saturday morning. He called me at 4:15 and said (in a thick Brooklyn accent), 'Look, I'm coming to pick you up in about 10 minutes. There's a guy in the car, but he's got nothing to do with you. You're going to the airport, ok? He's got nothing to do with you.' So I got in the car and there was indeed a man in the car, passed out in the front seat. 'He works at Blue Ribbon. You ever been there? Oh, it's delicious.' Jerry proceeded to talk to me the entire ride, pointing out interesting sites on the way to JFK, including the Federation of Black Cowboys located somewhere between Brooklyn and Queens. I got to the airport and slept nearly the entire flight since I had only gotten two hours of sleep the night before (and four hours of sleep the night before that). Michael picked me up and we went to brunch at Toast. Juliette met us there too for a special surprise!! I love Juliette1!!!111 After brunch, we met up with Lauren and Rachel to thrift shop in Pasadena. I got a flannel and grey cut-offs. After that Mike got his hair cut!! Finally!! I was so proud of him for going through with it. It's still in transition but I think it's a vast improvement. He looks great!
 
We got some Thai food for dinner in Silverlake and then went to a party with Juliette, Rachel and Max. This party was awesome because
(1) it was in a big house with a large backyard and a bonfire
(2) it was amazingly well stocked (lots of kinds of beer, hard alcohol and food (including oversized Pocky))
(3) there was a gorgeous fluffy dog there named Frannie


SUNDAY
We met up with Juliette, Rachel, Max, Jessie and Olga (aka Big Love +1) at Joan's on Third. It's like Dean and Deluca, LA-style. Very delicious and overpriced (which I think makes it taste even more delicious).

After that we went to some stores and walked around The Grove and stuff. I bought some books and a sun glasses case. I went to Ken's house for dinner. He made a delicious steak with potatoes and a salad. We had a Ritter Sport for desert and drank non-headache-inducing red wine. Then we went in search of open bars which, at midnight on Sunday, was a difficult task. We ended up at The Prince which was awesome. You can smoke inside and they play Korean pop music. They also inexplicably serve tortilla chips and salsa as a bar snack.

MONDAY
I met Juliette in the morning at Griddle Cafe. It was DELICIOUS and DECADENT! We ordered an egg dish with Big Mac sauce on it and really tender french toast. After eating, we took a magical trip to the Valley to test drive a new Prius at a kind-of-used car dealer. There were a lot of analogies about shoes made of paper to explain why the price our salesman was quoting us was about $2000 more than the price indicated on the Prius website.


I had about 6 hours to kill before Mike got off work so I went to a movie at Arclight and hung out at Borders. It was boring, but not that boring. Southland Tales is weird. It's not as good as Donnie Darko. Mike picked me up and we met Jeremy for dinner at a Mexican restaurant.

After dinner, Mike and I went to Metal Skool at The Key Club. It was the sickest scene ever. There were disgusting people there. The opening band was completely ridiculous. It was 4 'roided out dudes wearing sleeveless denim shirts (shaved armpits (vomit)) singing this really poppy 'metal.' It was hilarious.

As a warm-up before Metal Skool came on, this dude video taped the crowd and projected the video above the stage. He basically asked girls to show their tits and if they didn't he called them prude cunts and if they did he called them slutty whores. It was very disgusting -- a real Girls Gone Wild, date rape, peer pressure situation. I was extremely uncomfortable. The band finally came on and it was more of the same. Girls went on stage and the lead singer told them to get naked and if they didn't that the band wouldn't fuck them after the show. I found out later that all the people in the band are married with children and the whole thing is just a complete act. I don't know if that makes it better or worse. It was kind of shocking to see how into it everyone was. It was so sad for everyone! What's fun about it? Seeing what terrible things you can say to girls to make them feel bad enough about themselves to show their vaginas to thousands of people? Is that exciting? Like, do men really need to exercise power in such a retarded, base way? And why is it exciting for the girls who do it? Because they need attention? It was insane. Also the music wasn't even that good. It was just mediocre covers of songs I don't even like in their original form. The one funny thing was that everyone in the band represented an archetype of a 'metal' character and the 'effeminate' one was really well done. He had wind on him the whole time and kept checking himself in a hand mirror. The scene outside was kind of hilarious. This one guy was begging to get in. Like insane begging. It was just a weird thing through and through. I hope I never go somewhere like that again. It made me feel gross and sad.

TUESDAY
I did some web work for Andrew Kreps in the morning and then Ray picked me up for lunch. We went back to Joans on Third which was also delicious for lunch. We shared an iceberg salad and I had a ham and brie sandwich. We drove around listening to an English-accents-for-actors CD. Ray's accent isn't as good as mine which made him jealous. It's ok, Ray!!
We went to hang out at Mike's work, Anonymous Content. He has a fun job with free food and movies playing all the time.
We met Juliette for dinner at a noodle place in Silverlake. It was very brightly lit. We got gelato afterwards. Then I had some drinks at Ken's house to help him use the copious amounts of ice his ice maker produced over the preceding 24 hours. I <3 Jameson and Ginger Ale.

WEDNESDAY
I got to the airport insanely early, worried about the holiday rush. I got through security in about 7 minutes and would have gotten through faster but I was behind a HP salesman in line who extracted about 1010039839 laptops for x-ray. It was hilarious. Jeremy insisted on boarding the plane before me (even though we were sitting next to each other) because he was in Seating Group 2 and I was in Seating Group 3. The guy sitting in front of me immediately upon taking his seat pushed back all three seats in his row. Even though no one else was sitting in the other two. So Jeremy finally leaned over and righted the seat in front of him telling the guy, 'Sorry bro, I'm just gonna fix this since nobody's sitting here yet.' 'Well someone will be.' 'Well we're also going to take off in a minute, soo...' He was a complete dick. We spend the entire flight passive aggressively kicking the backs of their chairs while he and his girlfriend got plastered and necked inches from our faces.

Note: Jeremy is not leaning forward.
I'm never flying United again. NO LEG ROOM!!!!

When I got home, I went to Hyde Park to meet up with Alie, Joe and Jeremy to go to Jimmy's. Noah and his brother came later too.

1 comment:

erin. said...

that was ALOT of information.