Sunday, March 25, 2007

Two Mini Breaks and FAME

A lot of things have happened recently. Chiefly I went on a couple of vacations and became a ceWEBrity.

I. CHICAGO

I thought it'd be a good idea to cram in the vacations before I start my new job since my vacation allotment is less than generous. So first stop on the Pre-Job Vacation Extravaganza was Chicago. I love going home because my parents are the abso best. Also my sis Zoe was home and she's always good for a laugh and some shopping. My dad started taking tai chi because he's getting old and that's what people do when they get old. He does it at least once a day and even wears special shoes for it. Too cute!! The positions have fun names like single whip and ward off left.


I didn't do much at home. I went shopping with Zoe a lot, hung out with mom and dad, and watched tons of tv.

Nice nails, Zo!


We went out for a family dinner at legendary Indian restaurant Tiffin. It was excellent and the service was impeccable.
Cute!!!


A while ago Zoe and Dad found themselves home alone for a week or so. The rest of the fam wondered how they were getting along, just the two of them in the apartment. An idea for a sitcom was born. It would be a Perfect Strangers style set-up with the tagline, 'She's vegan. He's 70!'


I also saw my friend Robin. We ate Korean BBQ. I love how many little things they bring you with your dish.


Home was nice and relaxing. I had a terrible time flying out because of a thunderstorm. I don't want to recount it. It's just your normal frustrating air travel saga and it'll make me mad to think about it. I did see Lisa Ling in the airport in the same situation as thousands of other stranded passengers. I wanted to take a picture and submit it to the "Stars Just Like Us!" feature in US Weekly.

II. CEWEBRITY STATUS

Some angels (named Brian and John) helped make me a total ceWEBrity this weekend. They submitted my Tasting Rachael Ray video to Gawker. In the subsequent 7 hours it got picked up by several food blogs, Best Week Ever, Fleshbot and some other random blogs. My website visits went from 6 on Thursday to 10,385 on Friday. My bandwidth is like almost gone. I'm such a giddy girl! Also the guy who made Hamburger America George Motz is curating a Food Film Festival this summer in NYC and asked me to be part of it. I've seen Hamburger America tons of times -- in part because of Sundance Channel's commitment to biweekly screenings, but also because I love burgers and it's a fun little film. The point to Item II is that I am really famous and you should probably defer to me.

III. GREENBELT, MD - CHAINCATION

News of my cewebrity status came moments before my departure for the long awaited CHAINCATION 2007. It was a great way to start a vacation that has been in the works for about 5 weeks. Gretchen, Matt, Zaq and I loaded up Zoe's 1992 Toyota and headed in a southerly direction. We were bound for Greenbelt, Maryland -- home of ERIN K. YOKEL. There were mixes galore on the car ride down. Mine included several songs with the word 'chain' in the title. The theme of the Chaincation was, of course, chains. We went to California Pizza Kitchen, Chevy's, Target, Nordstrom, Forever 21, Express, The Apple Store, Banana Republic and others. We ate a lot of tasty but bad-for-you food like chicken fingers and quesadillas. Here are some other highlights in list form with accompanying pictures.

A. Tour of the Discovery Channel Building Lobby


B. Drive-thru Liquor Store


C. Hot Tubbing (featuring Matt Burnett in a Speedo -- the water was NOT the hottest thing in that tub MEEEOW!)



D. Dippin' Dots Stand at the Mall

I daresay ice cream can be MUCH more fun that Dippin' Dots.

E. Awesome Candy Packaging at Target

Doesn't it look like the goofy-faced monsters are hemorrhaging candy? From their mouths?! I liked to imagine the accompanying sound effect to this packaging as a kiddie puke noise.

F. Farmers Market With Wacky Mushrooms


G. Eggs ASAP


Even though only 1/2 of The Chain was able to attend, I had a great time. It made me so stoked to plan the next Chaincation, hopefully with a 100% attendance rate. Thanks Erin, Kathy and Uri for being such great hosts.

9 comments:

Zachary Scheer :: zscheer@gmail.com said...

your parents ARE cute.

Jeffrey Max said...

FUCK THAT. You KNOW Dippin' Dots are so much better than regular ice cream.

naomi said...

that's simply not true jeffrey.

erin. said...

yeah, not only is that not true. it's FUCKING ridiculous. they burn your mouth when you eat them and they are not nearly as creamy and delicious. deal with it.

Jeffrey Max said...

OMG ARE YOU GUYS RETARDED? DIPPIN' DOTS ARE THE FUTURE OF ICE CREAM. WHAT OTHER ICE CREAM COMPANY IS PUSHING BOUNDARIES? HÄAGEN DAZS? NO.

That said, have you ever had Blue Bell ice cream? It's the best in Texas.

naomi said...

hahaha nice umlaut j0ffr3y

Isadora said...

jeffrey - bring me back some blue bell from texas! i've been dying to try it ever since that nytimes article last year. come on, pleaaase!

Zachary Scheer :: zscheer@gmail.com said...

blue bells ARE cute.

Anonymous said...

1996 you cunt!!!