Saturday, June 2, 2007

bday2k7 part 2 (abridged) and some other junk

Last week on bday2k7, there was a Mexican fiesta and 3 kinds of cake. This week, bday2k7 continued as planned. The bar party at Bar went of hitchless: both without problems and without the intended screening of Hitch. Nada, the bartendress, was super accommodating and sweet. Almost everyone who was supposed to come showed up. It was extremely hot in Bar, but that just reminded people to have a funsexytime! I had such a funsexytime that I forgot to take pictures all night! Thanks everyone!

I also had my annual birthday meal at Mumbles with Lindsay and Maher. Mumbles is like the nicest restaurant in Des Moines. It's a sports bar and 'family style' restaurant. They give you a huge bread basket and there are weird expensive things on the menu that you'd never order. If you sign up for their mailing list (which I did about 4 years ago), you get a free entree with the purchase of an entree of equal or lesser value some time during the month of your birthday. The waitress was clearly new and didn't understand this policy (despite the fact that I handed her the email detailing the special deal), so she gave us the most expensive entree for free. IDIOTBITCH!!!

bday2k7 ended on the highest possible note with the simultaneous visits of Lucy Biederman and Juliette Claire Cohen. It was like a cosmic femmexplosion with a lil residual birthday hype on top. Lucy stayed with me because Sam's floor was full of clothes and change. We had the most fun time gossiping like little girls at a slumber party. Juliette stayed with someone she's better friends with than me. Which I am totally fine with. We had a big dinner at Hope and Anchor (my new favorite hangout (see bday2k7 part 1)). Here's Lucy looking at the menu looking back at her.

Later Sam and Juliette switched outerthings. Gooftroop!

Even later, Haley's bangs did a crazy flip!


Adam and Vanessa's Memorial Day BBQ was the cap on a great week and a half of birthday festivities. I made macaroons (people raved) and Gretchen made some awesome graham-y bars. Here she is multitasking with the bars and the card, not missing a beat in some dope knock-off Wayfarers:

It was extremely hot at the bbq, but the Pim's Cups were refreshing enough to take the edge off. Vanessa's home-ground burgers were fucking amazing and Adam's lemon bars were exactly perfectly tart and sweet. I can't wait for bbq v2.0 beta the next generation sequel.

I saw Animal Collective at South Street Seaport tonight. It was mega crowded, so I couldn't even find the people I was meant to meet there. Luckily, there was a wacky assortment of all different types of hipsters to look at and judge. The highlight was when someone spilled beer on a baby in a stroller. Also Sofia Coppola was there! She was with a bunch of girlfriends and seemed totally chill. She went to get the beer for all of them and didn't even try to get backstage. The music was good I guess. I'm excited for the new album? Whatever.

No comments: